Thursday 30 January 2014

Meshing Duo Beads Together

I have recently seen some examples of super-duo beads meshed together in a herringbone pattern, which forms a wide strip e.g. for a bracelet. (What a mathematician might call tiling a plane). This set me thinking that there may be other ways to 'tile' with duo beads, so that they form a flat surface, maybe with an occasional seed bead to fill a hole.
I also have some large spherical haematite beads in need of a project. These spherical beads are 10 mm diameter and coloured gold. They looked like they needed radiating beads to make them into little sunbursts, or maybe sunflowers, but how to mesh them together?
This leads to all sorts of odd numbers problems, for example, if you have to mesh 2 beads, they will need 3 beads to mesh into.
The solution was to use 9 beads onto each round bead, and to work down one side, and then up the other, linking into the first row as you go. Just a couple of seed beads were needed to fill the holes, and even out the pattern. The finished result is very pleasing, especially because there are a correct number of pattern repeats to fit my wrist!


Spot the join! 



I love it when I am able to design a clasp that exactly matches the design of the piece. In this case there are two of the round beads to fit into the two holes. I used two, to make it safer, as spherical buttons are not very secure!
This is a very chunky, dramatic bracelet, which is not for everyone, I know, so I'm going to make a variation that uses smaller rounds, or possibly crystals. Also I really want to see if I can expand the pattern to have three rows of round beads.

Meanwhile in the same vein I designed a very simple  bracelet, with some of the same ideas. 
Called "Little 'O's Bracelet", it is a chain of meshed circles. You can find the tutorial here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/177433249/tutorial-for-little-o-bracelet?


Stop press! I just realized that it would be much better with "crystalettes"  in a few of the 'O's.

Little 'O's bracelet, with Crystalettes.

Fun, fun, fun, there's so much you can do with super-duo beads!

And don't forget to follow me if you like my blog...please!!


No comments:

Post a Comment