Saturday 17 May 2014

Herringbone Weave with Superduo Beads

Pattern now available on my etsy store! Here



Ever since I first came across superduo beads, I felt sure that they could be woven such that they made a herringbone pattern, just like brick pavements.
Looking on the net the closest that I could find was this, by the Potomac Bead Co (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkgPVH5cyo) but this also incorporated seed beads, so it was not what I was looking for, though it is a lovely design.

I found a gold bracelet that was exactly what I was looking for, but made of actual gold!



So with this inspiration in mind, I set about many failed attempts, and lots of wasted thread, before I cracked it.


First Successful Herringbone Weave.

It comes out a bit like knitting, in that you do a cast on row, several "knit" rows, and then a cast off row.
The next thing was to make it more interesting, by making it stripy and tying a knot in it...


...or by adding a picot edge. (Also covers the side threads)

..or by capturing a rivoli

So lots of variations then, though the rivoli capture is a bit fiddly, and reminds me of a shortbread biscuit!

What I need to know is if anyone else has come up with the same thing? It seems an obvious thing to do with a superduo bead to me, so I'm sure that someone else would have found this too.

So, if you have found this elsewhere please let me know! I would love know if it was unique!!

Bonne Perler

Please note this blog has now moved to my website: TooTallToBead.co.uk






2 comments: