Thursday 27 February 2014

The Lost Stitch? Square Stitch!

I have just completed my latest project currently called, for want of a better name The Wiggly Bracelet. I came to make it because I needed a break from duo beads, I've been playing with them too much!
Thinking about ways of using czech, two holed, tile beads, I decided to make a ric-rac inspired bracelet, with what I thought might be called a variation on herringbone weave, but with uneven bead counts, originally with four strands, but it turned out that three strands worked best. 
Any way I made this:-
Wiggly Bracelet with beaded bead clasp.

However, its been bugging me all week what this herringbone-like stitch might be called?

Well, the penny dropped yesterday, and I remembered that it is called square stitch. 
Now, I'm not sure that I have seed anything made in this stitch for a really long time, it is really useful for surrounding focal beads, and it goes around corners!

So lets all have a go designing something in square stitch, bring it back!!!


What followed is a Double Wiggly Bracelet, also with beaded bead. 




Here' s a close up of my beaded bead. I'm calling it the Impossible To Teach beaded bead. It's really pretty, and tactile, but you have to do so many thread passes to make it stable, that I'm sure nobody but me could be bothered!

Let me know what you think about square stitch!
Bonne Perler!

2 comments:

  1. That little cube shape works beautifully as earrings! Thanks for my Xmas present and I' m glad you could be bothered! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I try and try to make the design simpler, but its just not happening. Can be bothered for special projects though!

    ReplyDelete