Sunday 23 February 2014

Using Paper Patterns in Beadwork Design

I'm sure that everyone has been doing this since forever, but I only just thought of it, so I will share!
When I am designing a necklace, I previously had trouble making it into a shape that will lie flat on the neck when it is being worn. This of course does not apply to strung pieces, as they will naturally fall into the most natural shape.
If the shape that you are trying to achieve is two, or even three dimensional there is little or no flexibility within the shape, so the piece has to be the correct shape or else it will twist or flip over as it goes around the curve of the neck, for example a triangular shaped necklace like my 'Windows ans Arches' necklace.

This week I have been making a version of my 'Princess's Daisies' design, in a different colour, and shape, so that it can be worn with a scoop necked top.




I made a simple paper pattern, and then placed the component parts on it. These daisies can either be joined with two petals or one, this is dependant on whether they have an even or odd number of petals. (I have made lots of different sizes.)
Where they join with two petals, the shape is set, where they join with one petal the shape is flexible. So there is still some flexibility in this particular design from the single petal joins.

I made the alternating larger daisies first. Then, starting at the front I made the smaller daisies, which I placed on the pattern so that I could see which petals to join to create the correct curve. I worked my way from the front to the back placing a small daisy in each gap.

I will definitely be using this approach in future when I make less flexible designs. 
I should have thought of this last week when I was making my Large Celtic Triangle necklace, but I can still use it for the re-design.


Finished necklace


Midnight Daisies Necklace


Designed for my favourite scoop necked top.

No comments:

Post a Comment