Sunday 16 February 2014

Windows and Arches, The Next Step?

Windows and Arches, The Next Step?

I have spent a couple of weeks teaching 'Windows and Arches' to my class. But I have been thinking about where to go with it next. I made a statement necklace that just uses the bracelet pattern up either side, then has a corner centre front and a dangle. The dangle gave me the opportunity to put a rivoli bezel inside a loop. 


Windows and Arches Necklace

Having added the bezel, I designed a bracelet with Arches and Bezels called 'I've Got My Eyes On You". I like the way that using dark purple beads on the bezels enhance the rich colours of the chatons. In fact I lost the first version of this, so I had to make a replica immediately as I was so pleased with the result. Someone out shopping had a lucky find!


I've Got My Eyes On You! Bracelet

The next step seems to be to explore celtic knot variations. 
Using a simple triangle knot (thanks Gerri for the idea), I made some variations, but I'm not sure that I am happy with any of them!
The question is whether to allow the strands to physically cross each other, which adds a dimensional element to the design, or to use a single window (little square filled with four bicones or 11/0 seed beads), to create a junction. Here are my variations:


           Little Fat Triangles        - Long Slim Triangles            - Over and Under Triangle

The little fat triangles are definitely no good because they don't lie flat. I quite like the Long slim triangles, but they would make a very wide bracelet, so maybe for a necklace. 
My current favourite is the over and under triangle. The problem with this one is that you need to use a stiff tension, and secretly join the overlaps to prevent it from being too unstable. (Instability is the curse of beadweavers!!!). All of the abovehave lost the lovely flow that the original design has. 
I also made a huge triangle knot necklace, using the four pane windows, and weaving the strands. With this I'm not yet happy with the way the strands wiggle as they cross over and under each other.  I will wear it to get some reactions, then maybe change the way that the strands weave.
Large Celtic Triangle Necklace

Maybe I'm just being fussy?
Or is it the scissors for this one?

2 comments:

  1. I love the large celtic triangle necklace, don't cut it up, I'd be very proud to wear it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked out that it needs to be narrower across the top, because it crinkles when I wear it, so I will have one more fiddle with it.
    Actually the best approach is to leave it for a few days, and then look with fresh eyes at it. Then you can see exactly what is wrong!

    ReplyDelete